“Oh, I should have asked about...” is a thought you don’t want to have after you have put down a firm offer on a home or property. Alachua County offers a diverse array of homes in a variety of sizes, ages, and conditions. Some of them are amazing, others
only look to be amazing.
Before you make that offer, here are some very important questions that a savvy buyer asks:
Pipes and Plumbing
Out of sight, out of mind is an adage that might as well have been written about plumbing. Even if the toilets and sinks run and drain properly, there might be problems lurking beneath the surface.
- Has the sewer backed up? How long ago?
- Have there been any broken pipes?
- Has the septic tank been pumped, and when?
No matter where you live, there will be utility bills, this is a fact of life for homeowners and renters alike. From the condition of the ductwork, the efficiency of the air conditioner, to the amount of insulation in the attic, there are many factors
that impact the utility costs.
- How much are the average utility bills for the home?
- What energy sources does the property use? Electric, natural gas, solar, propane, a combination?
- Are there energy efficient appliances installed?
- How big is the water heater? How old is it?
Pests and Pest Control
If you know Florida at all, you know we have a major bug situation. From mosquitos and no-see-ums to ants and termites, Florida seems to be a haven for insects. Even if you can’t see them during a walkthrough, they may be around.
- Has the property been treated regularly? For how long?
- Is there rotted or infested wood in the structure?
- Have any neighbors experienced pest problems?
- Is there any history with termites in the property?
Hurricane season is no joke, even in a relatively quiet spot like Alachua County. That is not the only reason to inquire about the state of the roof, but it is certainly a major one! A new roof can be a huge expense, so make sure you know its condition
and age before you proceed.
- How old is the roof?
- What kind of roofing materials are in place?
- Have there been roof repairs recently?
Trying to remember all the right questions to ask can be a lot to keep in your head. Be sure to get every bit of information about a house before making your offer.
The team of agents at Allison Ables Real Estate & Property Management have decades of combined experience and are ready to help you make the right decision for YOU. Contact us today at 352-371-1828 and let us help you find the home you’ve always wanted.